Completing the Square
Completing the Square is a method used to solve a quadratic equation by changing the form of the equation so that the left side is a perfect square trinomial .
To solve by completing the square:
1. Transform the equation so that the constant term,
, is alone on the right side.
2. If , the leading coefficient (the coefficient of the term), is not equal to , divide both sides by .
3. Add the square of half the coefficient of the -term, to both sides of the equation.
4. Factor the left side as the square of a binomial.
5. Take the square root of both sides. (Remember: is equivalent to .)
6. Solve for .
Solve by completing the square.
- Mechanical Engineering Tutors
- Six Sigma Courses & Classes
- F# Tutors
- Programming Paradigms Tutors
- IB Japanese SL Tutors
- ACT Math Test Prep
- Arkansas Bar Exam Test Prep
- NMLS - Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System Courses & Classes
- Gateway Test Tutors
- CCNA Service Provider - Cisco Certified Network Associate-Service Provider Courses & Classes
- AAPC - American Academy of Professional Coders Test Prep
- California Bar Exam Test Prep
- CLEP Precalculus Courses & Classes
- SPPA - Senior Professional Public Adjuster Courses & Classes
- Series 9 Test Prep
- 11th Grade French Tutors
- Pre-Algebra Tutors
- Process Engineering Tutors
- MLT Exam Tutors
- Calculus BC Tutors
- New York City Tutoring
- Richmond Tutoring
- Boulder Tutoring
- Las Vegas Tutoring
- Raleigh-Durham Tutoring
- Cleveland Tutoring
- Seattle Tutoring
- Sacramento Tutoring
- Virginia Beach Tutoring
- Philadelphia Tutoring