***IN CLEVELAND OHIO UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE BUT STILL TUTORING
***** IF YOU HAVE MATERIALS (hw, exam, practice problems)- SEND TO ME BEFORE WE MEET!!! That way, I can thoroughly work them out prior to meeting and figure out how best to explain to you.
Shalom! My name is Samantha but you can call me Sammie Jo or just Sammie. I was born and raised in Cleveland, OH - graduated from Strongsville High School with a 4.3 GPA and number 30 of roughly 600 students, then moved to Miami, FL to attend college at the University of Miami. I have 2 more classes left to graduate, then I will have a BS in Chemistry with minors in Math, Psychology, and Physics. For health reasons, I had to leave Miami fall of 2017, but will finish my last 2 classes at Case Western Reserve University this spring (2019).
I'm a very lively, extroverted person but simultaneously a very deep, abstract thinker. I am very creative and free spirited, but also intense and passionate when it comes to my school work. I hope to earn my PhD in chemistry - likely theoretical, physical, or medicinal - and become a professor. My passion lies in helping others find the beauty of the STEM courses through application. My dream is to create some new treatment or medicine to improve mental illness through chemistry as ending the stigma is another dream of mine. Through a blog, I am working on writing a memoir about my own experience with illness and fighting to find passion and purpose again. I love to explain things, and I am naturally a very face-paced person. I'm always happy to slow down and break concepts down into steps and typically try to start off doing so.
*****TO WORK WITH ME YOU MUST PROVIDE ME WITH YOUR HOMEWORK/PRACTICE TEST/ PROBLEMS, etc AT LEAST 1 DAY BEFOREHAND!!!! That way I can solve then explain to you and make the most of our time :-)
- Math- I can do any level from elementary school up to college level calculus II. I also specialize in quantitative reasoning portions on standardized tests.
- Chemistry- Organic, physical, General, inorganic, instrumental, analytical. I did not take AP chemistry in high school, but am willing to tutor it. Won outstanding chemistry student of the year with high school chemistry.
- Physics- AP physics C mechanics, fluids and thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism (will not tutor) and introductory quantum mechanics. My background is only calculus based - I cannot help with algebra based physics.
- Essay writing: ACT writing, GRE writing, SAT writing, analytical, lab writing, argument/persuasion, college app essays, personal statements, statements of purpose. I am very good with grammar and syntax as well.
- Test Prep: ACT, GRE, certain AP courses, and certain SAT subject tests - See my list of subjects for more!
- I started as a Neuroscience major, and took various biology and psychology courses but it wasn't for me. I will not tutor either of those
- I then changed to psychology and philosophy as I love writing and critical thinking, but missed problem solving.
- I took chemistry for a challenge and ended up falling in love and excelling - and picked it up as a major! I have background in all branches of chemistry and used to be a TA for general chemistry as well.
- I minored in math as I tested out of calculus from AP calc BC in high school. I took calculus 3, linear algebra, and differential equations, but would need some time to prepare before tutoring those levels as well as with calculus.
- I also planned to major in physics but decided too late. I took mechanics, fluids and thermodynamics, and E&M and received As in all. I also have a quantum mechanics background.
EXPERIENCE WITH TUTORING/TEACHING:
- Tutored math since 9th grade to kids at my high school math lab (math lab- Algebra 1- BC AP calc level)
- Tutored ACT/SAT for my 3 younger siblings, my friends, and then started working through universitytutors.com since 2014
- Tutored chemistry freelance: organic, physical, and general chem
- Peer leader for evolutionary bio for 2 semesters: I led a group of roughly 8-10 students and we would test prep or go over a problem packet together. Received excellent feedback
- General Chem 1 TA: I taught about 20 kids from the 200 person lecture how to study, explained concepts, taught problem solving techniques, and weekly, I'd create practice problems just like the old tests and we'd go over those together. I spent voluntary time as well tutoring those who wanted more practice, and held study sessions by choice for the students. Before each test, I created a study guide during my own time. The majority of my students had the top grades in the class, and I received a glowing recommendation and recognition for my work. The best part was how much I loved it and watching my students grow and kill those curves! In all seriousness, I treated my students as peers, not subordinates, who I still keep in touch with occasionally.
- I briefly began teaching General Chemistry Lab the following semester (fall 2017) until I got too sick that semester and had to withdraw. For the month and a half though, I supervised a group of 20 students, ran them through a lab, created quizzes and read lab reports. I was devastated over leaving! Loved that job and was so excited.
- Teaching/tutoring is simply a passion of mine and I genuinely enjoy helping you all see the light, too.
HOW I TUTOR:
- One of my biggest strengths is my ability to put complex concepts into simple terms. I love analogies and applying the subject to life.
- We will identify what you'd like to work on first. I assume most of my clients will be here for math, science, or the ACT.
- I am HUGE on practice problems. You can never do too many! I enjoy creating problem sets for my students and going through how to do them step by step.
- For homework help: SEND ME THE HOMEWORK BEFORE WE MEET (at least 24 hr in advance). That way, I can prepare prior to meeting and explain more effectively.
- ACT: I encourage you to do a timed diagnostic test before we meet. I believe familiarity with the format of the test is the most important part because time management is crucial with this test; I cannot stress enough the importance of finishing all questions on the test. The way I study is always with old practice tests. I can provide clients with a practice test if they'd like. I prefer to work with a student at least a month prior to the test with a weekly full timed practice test. I cannot guarantee you a better score if you ask me to help you the week before and you hadn't been studying. If you follow my strategy (weekly timed test, one section at least 4/7 days of the week for at least 4 weeks, mastering your two bests, raising low scores by time management and format patterning) I will refund you if you don't raise your score. Have had up to 8 points.
- GRE: would make a guide of all types of quant on the test and know all formulas for each type. Weekly practice tests at least a month prior too. Usually I think you should take at least 3 before your first. Take as many times as you can without penalty !!!
My availability is nearly open until I return to school. Thanks for viewing!
ACT superscore: E: 35 M: 36 R: 30 S: 34 W: 10/12 all 3 times (will need to prep awhile to be able to perform similarly. I started with a 31, took 3 times, always with writing)
SAT: took with little to no prep, but still scored above the 90th percentile on quantitative and even with the PSAT. My writing was strong with essays.
SAT SUBJECT: math 1 (didn't take but know concepts), math 2 (760), and would again do the chem though I took the test when I had only taken a month of chemistry total. I plan to take that in my spare time to see if I can help
-BC Calc: 5
- Government: 3
- Literature: 3
- Microeconomics: 4
- AP Physics C (Mechanics): 4
- Statistics: 5
I only tutor AB calc, BC calc, occasionally physics C Mechanics, and I will also tutor AP Chem despite having never taken it. I plan to do an old practice test soon and post my score.
I will do stats as well.
GRE: Q: 169 V: 159 W: 5.5/6.0
******* IN CLEVELAND UNTIL FURTHER NOTICEk
Education & Certification
Undergraduate Degree: University of Miami - Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
I am a writer - mainly memoirs but I love debating too; working as a mental health advocate through NAMI; need to be outdoors daily in sun with the occasional thunderstorm; am 3 of a 6 kid family!! We’re all so different but best friends; science - my favorite course was introductory quantum mechanics (phys chem 2)! I have a tattoo of Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle! I love music before 2000 mostly - mainly classic rock and grunge! I have also traveled to 40 countries - most memorable was Tanzania African safari, with most beautiful being Mykonos, exotic being Egypt, and favorite being Thailand.
AP Physics C: Mechanics
CLEP College Mathematics
Elementary School Math
GRE Subject Test in Chemistry
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics
GRE Subject Tests
High School Chemistry
High School Physics
High School Writing
IB Further Mathematics
IB Mathematical Studies
SAT Subject Tests Prep