1 of 7

Connect with hundreds of tutors like Jessie

Expert tutoring for students at all levels

150,000+ clients. 4.9 / 5.0 Rating of Tutoring Sessions

Who needs a tutor?
How soon do you need tutoring?
What is your name?
What is your zip code?
What is your email address?
What is your phone number?
Featured by
Tutors from
A photo of Jessie, a tutor from University of Pennsylvania


Certified Tutor

Call us today to connect with a top tutor
(888) 888-0446

I received my Ph.D from the University of Delaware in Materials Science and received my Bachelors degree from the University of Pennsylvania, also in Materials Science. In addition, I have a minor in Chinese Language and Culture. I have always loved learning and science, which is why I pursued the highest possible degree. I just want to pass my love on through tutoring. I have tutored grades 1 though 12 from reading and phonics all the way to calculus and chemistry. I have also worked on test prep and taken the SATs, SAT IIs and GREs.I have worked with children of all backgrounds and abilities, so am patient and understanding through any difficulties.

Connect with a tutor like Jessie

Jessie’s Qualifications

Education & Certification

Undergraduate Degree: University of Pennsylvania - Bachelors, Materials Science & Engineering

Graduate Degree: University of Delaware - PHD, Materials Science & Engineering


Crocheting, Reading, Baking,

Tutoring Subjects

ACT Writing


Algebra 2

AP Calculus BC

AP Chinese Language and Culture


College Algebra

College English

Conversational Mandarin

Earth Science

Elementary Math

Elementary School Math


Graduate Test Prep

GRE Analytical Writing

High School Chemistry

High School English


Life Sciences

Mandarin Chinese

Mandarin Chinese 1

Mandarin Chinese 2

Mandarin Chinese 3

Mandarin Chinese 4


Middle School Math

Middle School Science


Physical Science




SAT Subject Test in Chinese with Listening

SAT Subject Test in Mathematics Level 1

SAT Subject Test in Mathematics Level 2

SAT Subject Tests Prep


Test Prep

Q & A

What is your teaching philosophy?

Every student is different, so I believe in patience and gentle guidance. I try to use the student's own curiosity and knowledge base to get through difficult problems.

What might you do in a typical first session with a student?

I like to take the first 15 minutes to hear about the problem from the student's own mouth. I also try to learn about their interests to find ways to make the subject matter more appealing. Then as we first dive into the problem or issue area, I let the student show me how they normally approach the problem so that I can observe where any hang-ups may lay.

How can you help a student become an independent learner?

I use a three part method. First, I have the student read me the problem, and I work through most of it. This means that I lead/do 80% of the problem so they may understand what steps are required as I guide them through the remaining 20%. Second, I let the student work with me. I guide them and jump in as they work. Here I do about 40% of the work, as I remind them of the steps I had taken previously. Finally, I let the student do the work themselves, without my help until the end of the problem. Here the student has learned the steps of how, and also learned how to do the problem without me. After this, depending on the topic, I let the student come up with problems to stump me. This can show they truly understand the problem. I then walk through the steps again to solidify the steps through repetition.

Connect with a tutor like Jessie