I am Lindsay. I am an avid lover of language, literature, writing, learning, artistic endeavors, athleticism, nutrition, and enhancement of the mind through those pursuits. That being said, I’d like to share my passion and enthusiasm for learning with you.
I have been a teacher for 6 years. My teaching experiences are as follows:
- middle school children English in the United States as a classroom assistant
- middle school children English in Mexico as a lead teacher
- American and international university age students Spanish as a part time instructor
- high school age students Spanish as a high school teacher
- international adults English at a non-profit center in Syracuse, as a student-teacher
- kids yoga classes as the lead teacher
- adult hatha yoga classes, asana, pranayama, meditation as the lead teacher
- high school girls volleyball,basketball and track coach
My idea when I am teaching is that I am a facilitator. That means that you know how to do everything, you just don’t know that you know. My job is to show you that you have everything you need to do it yourself. Therefore, I ask questions to guide you, and in time you will see that you do indeed possess the necessary mental forces to complete the tasks before you of your own accord!
When dealing with language, I use the communicative language approach, and focus on instilling a student-centered learning environment. I both create and ask the student to take part in creating course materials and shaping course content to foster interest in both learning and participating in their personal learning progress. I attempt to create an environment where a student feels no fear to ask questions, and is able to verbalize and communicate, and also is able to travel outside the classroom and use what we’ve learned in authentic contexts. I closely monitor student progress, and also am more than open to emailing and meeting at the student’s convenience.
As far as my personality goes, I am a very caring, silly, open-minded individual. I genuinely am concerned for the welfare of those around me, which is why I am a yoga instructor. I also love academic pursuits, which is why I hope to be a tutor for who ever needs assistance.
Education & Certification
Undergraduate Degree: SUNY Fredonia - Bachelor in Arts, Spanish
Graduate Degree: Syracuse University - Master of Arts, Linguistics
Yoga asana, meditation, pranayama, knitting, crocheting, baking, cooking, writing fiction, funny cat pictures, guitar, ukulele, harmonium, running, zumba, backpacking, photography, fiber art
Elementary School Math
High School English
Study Skills and Organization