The WISC V test (or Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children, 5th edition) is an exam administered to individuals between the ages of 6 and 16 to measure full-scale IQ, previously known as an IQ score. The test also produces separate measures of five distinct cognitive abilities. If you want to help your child score well on this exam, Varsity Tutors can connect you with a WISC V tutor who may be able to help them reach your academic goals.
The WISC V is broken into five categories, each consisting of two sub-tests. Here are the categories that may be covered during WISC V tutoring sessions:
- Verbal Comprehension - Includes an examination of a child's vocabulary and their responses to general knowledge questions
- Visual Spatial - A child's spatial intelligence is measured using a block puzzle and several visual puzzles, with bonuses for speed
- Fluid Reasoning - Includes arithmetic, identifying patterns, and Matrix Reasoning
- Working Memory - Children repeat numbers spoken to them, either as-is or in reverse
- Processing Speed - Children are evaluated according to their performance on coding and symbol search tasks
One way to improve your child's performance with these tasks is to allow them to practice outside of the test. Completing multiple block puzzles is almost sure to make a child better at performing them. Likewise, encouraging your child to repeat information back in reverse order may help them on the Working Memory section. If you do not wish to take on this responsibility yourself, it may be done during WISC V tutoring sessions. Many of the exercises involve time bonuses, so encouraging a student to complete tasks quickly around the house may help them get used to performing under time constraints.
Your Personalized Tutoring Program and Instructor
Our knowledgeable directors help you choose your tutor with your learning profile and personality in mind.
Your tutor can customize your lessons and present concepts in engaging easy-to-understand-ways.
You can learn more efficiently and effectively because the teaching style is tailored to you.
With the flexibility of online tutoring, your tutor can be arranged to meet at a time that suits you.