Mesoamerica is one of the six areas where ancient civilization developed independently. Physically, it covered part of the future Southwest United States, Mexico, and stretched down through countries like Belize, Guatemala, Nicaragua and others, as far south as Costa Rica. It's a fascinating history to study, because the cultures are free from influence of outsiders up until the 15th or 16th centuries, and have left enough archaeological evidence behind so we can learn a lot about them. Varsity Tutors can help you connect with qualified Mesoamerican culture tutoring to help through this class, and potentially to dig deeper in than your professor has time to do.
Mesoamerica was not just one culture, but throughout the centuries, it went through various culture stages, including:
- Paleo-Indian: 10,000 - 3500 BCE, before agriculture
- Archaic: 8000 - 3500 - 1800 BCE, rise of agriculture, cultivation of maize
- Preclassic/ Formative: 2000 BCE - 250 CE, Olmec, other complex cultures
- Classic: 200 - 900 CE, rise of political cultures, Maya, Teotihuacan, Zapotec
- Postclassic: 900 - 1500 CE, increase in specific regions, cultures, "nations"
- Colonial: 1521 - 1821 CE, beginning of the end, Europeans arrived
- Postcolonial: 1821 CE - present, many cultures persist
Mesoamerican culture tutoring can help you learn to define the different periods, and dig into the people and cultural practices that existed in each stage. Your private Mesoamerican culture tutor may have access to learning materials beyond what you are provided in your course, like multimedia presentations, flashcards, or various reading materials, and can use these to help you gain a good understanding of the rise of social complexity and cultural ecology and eventually economy of the various cultures.
Your Personalized Tutoring Program and Instructor
Our knowledgeable directors help you choose your tutor with your learning profile and personality in mind.
Your tutor can customize your lessons and present concepts in engaging easy-to-understand-ways.
You can learn more efficiently and effectively because the teaching style is tailored to you.
With the flexibility of online tutoring, your tutor can be arranged to meet at a time that suits you.