Betsy
Certified Tutor

10+ years of tutoring

Betsy

Bachelor of Science, Microbiology University of Kansas
  • My honors curricula focused extensively on oral and written communication in addition to community outreach.
  • As an Undergraduate Teaching Assistant, I was directly involved in one-on-one learning sessions, lecturing, and classroom management.

About Me

If you are looking for a strong communicator with the ability to relate to a broad audience, my education, work, and volunteer experience will prove invaluable. As a recent graduate of the University of Kansas, I graduated in the top 10% of my class and was one of only eight students to earn Honors in Biology. While obtaining my Bachelors of Science in Microbiology, I worked on independent research in a Biochemistry laboratory and presented my findings at the Undergraduate Research Symposium as well as published an honors thesis in the Journal of Undergraduate Research. I taught Principles of Biology Laboratory independently for classrooms of 12 students. In order to engage more with non-biology majors, I reiterated complex concepts by illustrating hand-drawn diagrams as well as verbal explanations. I took a very similar approach to teaching students that were more well-versed in biology when I taught Fundamentals of Microbiology Laboratory, where I focused on providing not only hand-written notes but also hands-on demonstrations. My approach to teaching is a comprehensive approach I encourage students to learn material with all of their senses by writing, speaking, drawing, and listening in order to not only remember concepts but truly understand them. I engage with my students on a personal level in order to determine what their learning styles are and relate the material more to their strengths. Use my strong interpersonal skills to increase your subject comprehension and achieve academic success.

Hobbies & Interests

In addition to my interest in Biology, I love reading and art. Literature is a great way for me to escape the everyday for a few hours and step into someone else’s world. I also love art – painting, pencil work, ink drawings, etc. I use both of these skil

Education

Bachelor of Science, Microbiology - University of Kansas

Q&A with Betsy

My teaching philosophy is to engage with students using all of their learning senses: through drawing diagrams, writing, reading, visuals, and auditory learning. I take the time to learn about my student and their individual interests in order to make learning more personal, understandable, and engaging.
Connect with a tutor like Betsy

Who needs tutoring?

No obligation. Takes ~1 minute.

Tutors with Similar Experience

Shayan
Certified Tutor

Shayan

Current Grad Student, Pre-Health University of Pennsylvania
CalculusAlgebra28+ more
Get Started
Nishad
Certified Tutor

Nishad

Bachelors, Premedicine Pennsylvania State University-Main Campus
CalculusAlgebra23+ more
Get Started
Garrett
Certified Tutor

Garrett

Bachelor in Arts University of Pennsylvania
CalculusAlgebra28+ more
Get Started
Emily
Certified Tutor

Emily

Current Grad Student, Medicine (MD) Columbia University in the City of New York
CalculusAlgebra31+ more
Get Started
Kelly
Certified Tutor

Kelly

PhD (Cancer and Cell Biology research) Cornell University
College AlgebraAlgebra 3/427+ more
Get Started
Li
Certified Tutor

Li

Bachelor of Science, Speech and Hearing Northwestern University
9th Grade Math8th Grade Math68+ more
Get Started

Let’s find your perfect tutor

Answer a few quick questions. We’ll recommend the right plan and match you with a top 5% tutor.

Prefer to talk? Call us