Terry
Certified Tutor

10+ years of tutoring

Terry

Bachelor in Arts, Natural Sciences Case Western Reserve University
Doctor of Education, Curriculum and Instruction University of Houston
  • We feed birds and squirrels on our decks.

About Me

Some people may consider me a science geek (in a good way). Finding online articles about interesting natural phenomena, new scientific discoveries, and innovative inventions entertains me. During my daily life I often apply science and engineering concepts, such as putting salt in my pasta water or sprinkling it on an icy sidewalk to alter boiling and melting temperatures. I find myself using science and engineering practices to figure out an answer for a question I'm wondering about or to solve a problem I'm experiencing. I think of them through different lenses (cross cutting concepts that apply to all science disciplines). I observe patterns of behavior; consider the inputs, interactions, and outputs of the system, and marvel at the body structures of these creatures that let them function (survive).So as a science geek, I really love science and use it all the time. However, I'm even more excited about encouraging elementary and middle school students to love, learn, and use science to answer their questions and solve their problems. As a tutor I will strive to meet the needs of my customers. Though lecturing is not my preferred instructional method, I can produce an effective informational slide presentation if that works best for my students. I prefer to present an interesting phenomenon to the learner(s) who then identify what they notice and wonder about it. With my guidance the student or class identifies questions or problems for further investigation. This student-centered instructional approach supports engagement. Learner(s) would much rather figure out answers to their own questions than complete a teacher-made assessment. I'm an advocate for student sense-making, the three-dimensional approach to teaching and learning in the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) builds to that goal. With appropriate teacher support, learner(s) use Science and Engineering Practices and Crosscutting Concepts to construct Disciplinary Core Ideas to figure out an explanation for the Phenomenon. My academic preparation in science education includes:BA in Natural Science from Case Western Reserve UniversityM.Ed. in Science Curriculum and Instruction from the University of HoustonEd.D. in Science Curriculum and Instruction from the University of HoustonDuring my long career as a science educator I've had many roles, including:Science teacher in K-8 classrooms. Peace Corps Volunteer teaching science to future primary school teachers. Planetarium teacher for 4th and 8th graders (up to 300 at a time).Curriculum developer: projects and activities for NSF Grant, Challenger Center, Young AstronautsDistrict Level Science CoordinatorDirector of Saturday Science, a family enrichment program (Grades 3-8)Assistant Professor of Science EducationCoauthor of 3 revisions of Elementary Science Methods Text Book. Science Specialist at LEARN, a Regional Educational Service CenterProvider of Professional Development for K-12 teachers of science (NGSS and Inquiry)

Hobbies & Interests

Elementary/Middle School Science Curriculum & Instruction, Implementing NGSS, Helping students figure out the world around them, Astronomy, Travel, Cooking, Cats.

Education

Bachelor in Arts, Natural Sciences - Case Western Reserve University
Doctor of Education, Curriculum and Instruction - University of Houston
Connect with a tutor like Terry

Who needs tutoring?

No obligation. Takes ~1 minute.

Tutors with Similar Experience

Daniel
Certified Tutor

Daniel

Bachelors Brown University
Pre-AlgebraMiddle School Math25+ more
Get Started
Ingrid
Certified Tutor

Ingrid

Bachelor of Science, Biomedical Engineering Northwestern University
Pre-AlgebraFinite Mathematics49+ more
Get Started
Sugi
Certified Tutor

Sugi

Bachelor's degree in Cognitive Science and Biochemistry & Cell Biology Rice University
Pre-AlgebraCollege Algebra52+ more
Get Started
Joseph
Certified Tutor

Joseph

Master in Public Health, Public Health Yale University
Pre-AlgebraMiddle School Math43+ more
Get Started
Kristin
Certified Tutor

Kristin

Master of Science, Nursing (RN) University of Pennsylvania
CalculusAlgebra31+ more
Get Started
Annie
Certified Tutor

Annie

Current Grad Student, MD Drexel University College of Medicine
Pre-AlgebraMiddle School Math27+ more
Get Started

Let’s find your perfect tutor

Answer a few quick questions. We’ll recommend the right plan and match you with a top 5% tutor.

Prefer to talk? Call us