Algebra 1 : Whole and Part

Study concepts, example questions & explanations for Algebra 1

varsity tutors app store varsity tutors android store

Example Questions

Example Question #41 : Whole And Part

What is  of ?

Possible Answers:

Correct answer:

Explanation:

To find 3% of anything, convert it into a decimal. 3% as a decimal is 0.03.

Then we can multiply 150 by 0.03 to get an answer of 4.5.

We could also get this in another way.

3% is just .

150 is , and .

Example Question #42 : Whole And Part

What is  of ?

Possible Answers:

Correct answer:

Explanation:

To find 15% of anything, just multiply by 0.15, its decimal equivalent.

In this case, 327 times 0.15 is 49.05.

Example Question #43 : Whole And Part

What is  of  ?

Possible Answers:

Correct answer:

Explanation:

To find the part from the whole given a percentage, we multiply the whole by the decimal equivalent of the percentage. To find this, we divide the percentage by one-hundred:

Therefore,  of  is 

Example Question #44 : Whole And Part

As of the middle of August, Magnus had saved  of his total travel budget. If Magnus has a goal of saving  , how much does he have left to save?

Possible Answers:

Correct answer:

Explanation:

As of the middle of August, Magnus had saved  of his total travel budget. If Magnus has a goal of saving  , how much does he have left to save?

There are two ways to go about doing this, and both of them require you to look for what is actually being asked. The question asks you for how much he has left to save. This means that we are not looking for , we are looking for  of the savings goal. So, the simpler way to solve this is to do the following:

Note, we also could have found  of  and then subtracted that from . Using this method would have yielded the exact same answer as the other method. 

Example Question #45 : Whole And Part

The human body is roughly  water. If Oscar weighs , what is his dry weight (weight without water)?

Possible Answers:

Correct answer:

Explanation:

Since  of the human body is water and we are looking for the dry weight, we want to find  of :

Example Question #46 : Whole And Part

Oscar calculated that 35% of the miles he drives in his car are for recreation and the remaining 65% are miles from commuting back and forth from work. If Oscar drives 4002 miles in a given week, how many miles will he have driven commuting to work and back? 

Possible Answers:

Correct answer:

Explanation:

If  of the miles Oscar drives being commuter miles, we can determine how many miles that is by multiplying the total number of miles driven by :

Example Question #47 : Whole And Part

44 is what percent of 80?

Possible Answers:

Correct answer:

Explanation:

We know that 80 multiplied by some percentage, equals 44. Because a percent is number, divided by 100, we can represent this problem mathematically, as follows:

 

To get  by itself, multiply both sides of the equation by 80. This gives us:

Then, multiply both sides of the equation by 100. This gives us:

Simplify.

Thus, 44 is 55% of 80.

Example Question #48 : Whole And Part

According to a recent poll,  of voters plan on voting for a certain canditate for president. If there are 175 million voters total, how many will vote for this candiate?

Possible Answers:

Correct answer:

Explanation:

According to a recent poll,  of voters plan on voting for this candiate for president. If there are 175 million voters total, how many will vote for this candiate?

So out of a total of 175 million, (175,000,000), 34% will vote for this candiate. To find that number, change your percent to a decimal and multiply:

So a total of  people will vote for this presidential candiate.

Example Question #49 : Whole And Part

What is seventy percent of seventy?

Possible Answers:

Correct answer:

Explanation:

Write the term seventy percent.  This can be rewritten as a decimal by removing the percent sign sign and move the decimal place back two spaces.  

Additionally, we can also choose to rewrite the seventy percent into a fraction out of 100 parts, which can be reduced to seven-tenths:

The word "of" means multiply.

Multiply  with .

The answer is .

Example Question #50 : Whole And Part

What is six percent of five?

Possible Answers:

Correct answer:

Explanation:

Write six percent in either fractional or decimal form.  A percentage is a number out of 100 parts.

Multiply either number with five to find the part from the whole.

This value can also be expressed as:

The answer is:  

Learning Tools by Varsity Tutors