Jeremy
Certified Tutor

10+ years of tutoring

Jeremy

Bachelor of Science, Physics Wright State University-Main Campus
  • I am student at Wright State University (WSU) in Dayton Ohio.
  • At WSU I had an exciting opportunity to teach a few of the general physics lab sections for the Physics Department as a student employee.

About Me

I just finished up a Bachelor of Science in physics and graduated in September 2015. I love the challenges in my coursework and the sense of accomplishment I experience when I'm able to apply my knowledge to research or teaching. The labs I taught each semester from January 2013 to May 2015 corresponded to General Physics (I) and (II). The experiences I had teaching developed my ability to communicate and share my knowledge with less experienced students. I know how to approach teaching in a way that allows students to actually leave the course with a sense of accomplishment and having learned something useful. I am currently available for and enjoy tutoring the following subjects: Math, Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Algebra 3/4, Pre-calculus, Calculus 1, and Differential Equations. My approach to teaching emphasizes conceptual understanding, the development of critical thinking skills as well as problem solving skills. These aspects of learning are essential for anyone wishing to become a competent professional in a technical field like physics, engineering or mathematics, or anyone else required to tackle similarly technical courses.

Hobbies & Interests

I like to play guitar; mostly classic rock and blues. I also love to travel the country when I have time. I've been New York, Chicago, and Las Vegas this past year.

Education

Bachelor of Science, Physics - Wright State University-Main Campus

Q&A with Jeremy

My teaching philosophy for math and physics emphasizes conceptual understanding of topics over tedious memorization of procedures, or "cookbook recipes," as I like to call them. In higher level math courses, students that rely on memorization, or "cookbook recipes," for solving various "types" of problems rarely succeed with good grades. Any student can remember, for instance, that the area of a triangle is 1/2 base x height, if that's what they've been taught, and then just plug in the numbers for a given triangle; but it may not be as easy to explain why that formula makes sense. As you get into higher math courses, the challenges are going to be too difficult to tackle if you are relying on memorization. It's necessary to be able to understand "why," the rules of mathematics make sense. This was a lesson I learned in high school, and I can confidently say that I would never have been able to earn a degree in physics if I had not applied this lesson.
Connect with a tutor like Jeremy

Who needs tutoring?

No obligation. Takes ~1 minute.

Tutors with Similar Experience

Aaron
Certified Tutor

Aaron

Current Grad Student, Mechanical Engineering Duke University
Pre-AlgebraCalculus 221+ more
Get Started
Mimi
Certified Tutor

Mimi

Masters in Education, Education Harvard University
Middle School MathCalculus30+ more
Get Started
Nina
Certified Tutor

Nina

Masters in biostatistics Columbia University
Statistics Graduate LevelStatistics22+ more
Get Started
Reid
Certified Tutor

Reid

PHD, Education Harvard University
Pre-AlgebraMiddle School Math34+ more
Get Started
Charles
Certified Tutor

Charles

Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering Yale University
AP Calculus ABPre-Algebra24+ more
Get Started
Michelle
Certified Tutor

Michelle

Current Grad Student, M.D. Baylor College of Medicine
Pre-AlgebraPre-Calculus26+ more
Get Started

Let’s find your perfect tutor

Answer a few quick questions. We’ll recommend the right plan and match you with a top 5% tutor.

Prefer to talk? Call us