Hi, my name is Fernando and I am ready to help. I was born in San Antonio TX, but I recently moved to Denver CO. I usually travel a lot for work so online tutoring works perfect for me.
I hold a bachelor's degree in Financial Administration. In 2013, I got a full scholarship to study my master's in Applied Economics at the University of Paris 1 (France). I have obtained both of my degrees with honors and I am looking forward to pursue my PhD studies.
I am a part time professor of finance and economics at the International University of Ecuador (online higher education) since 2016 and I currently work as the Executive Director of UEX Ecuador, an educational nonprofit that aims to train small producers to improve their quality of life.
I am also an independent investor and trader in the US stock market: NYSE and Nasdaq. I invest in mutual funds, bonds, stocks and options (covered calls and cash-secured puts).
Due to my academic background and professional experience, I am able to tutoring the following subjects and general topics:
- Financial Statements, taxes, and cash flow
- Long-term financial planning and growth
- Valuation of future cash flows (bonds and stocks)
- Capital budgeting: project analysis and evaluation
- Risk and return
- Cost of capital and long-term financial policy
- Short-term financial planning and management
- Internacional corporate finance
- Classical Theory: national income, money and inflation, the open economy and unemployment
- Growth Theory: capital accumulation and population growth
- Business Cycle Theory: economic fluctuations, aggregate demand and aggregate supply
- Macroeconomic policy debates: stabilization policy, government debt and budget deficits
- Markets and competition: demand and supply
- Elasticity of demand and supply
- Consumer surplus and producer surplus
- The costs of taxation: the deadweight loss
- International trade: the winners and losers
- Economics of the public sector: externalities and market inefficiency
- Firm behavior and the organization of industry: competitive markets, monopoly, oligopoly, monopolistic competition
- The economics of labor market: demand and supply of labor, earnings and discrimination, income inequality and poverty
- The theory of consumer choice
In addition to my academic background in Economics and Finance, I am also a native Spanish speaker. My passion for learning languages has led me to teach and tutor Spanish for several years. Some of the topics I could go through are the following:
- Basic, intermediate and advanced levels
- Conversational Spanish
- DELE Preparation
- Spanish for business
- Spanish for kids
- Spanish for traveling
My classes are practical and fun. I like to disentangle concepts and to use simple situations as examples so that students become more familiar with the topics and can grasp the core idea of things.
Undergraduate Degree: Pontifical Catholic University of Ecuador - Bachelor in Business Administration, Business Administration and Management
Graduate Degree: University of Paris 1 Panthon-Sorbonne - Master of Economics, Applied Economics
The arts are an area of interest I continuously find myself spending extra time. I am a writer and enjoy reading literature and writing stories. I have always had a passion for writing and creating stories anywhere I go. While traveling, I learn from other cultures and perspectives and infuse moments, experiences and conversation within my writing to bring life into and feel a part of my stories. I am also passionate about nature and the environment and find myself motivated to be outdoors in activities such as hiking and camping. I enjoy spending time outside, savoring peaceful days and surrounded by nature. It is more than a reward to be able to disconnect from society by reconnecting through nature. Exercise is also a part of my daily routine. I enjoy running and swimming and have always thought that physical, emotional and mental health are interconnected. Another hobby I have become more interested in is cooking. While traveling and living abroad, I have grown my culinary interests and tastes and moreover enjoy learning new recipes that support living a healthy lifestyle. Most importantly, I value time with my family and friends. Whether it’s enjoying a family meal together, playing cards with my niece and nephew, watching a movie with my siblings or spending time outside with friends, these are moments I always cherish.