Recent Tutoring Session Reviews
"The student and I discussed JSON and XML formatting, as well as data structures used in memory allocation, particularly stacks. Over the weekend, he should read up on JSON, XMLWriter, and Data Contracts so that he can apply these in his current project."
"We spent the hour working on conversions back and forth between binary, hexadecimal, decimal numbers and ASCII. I showed them the usefulness (and ease) of using hex as an intermediary between binary and decimal. I went over the concepts of bit, byte, and nibble. We finished one set of practice problems on this subject, and then moved on to the student's current project. Here, he's asked to write down a quote from someone he likes (in this case Michael Jackson), use the ASCII table to rewrite it in both hex and decimal, and then, as a bonus, convert it to binary. "
"We went over python modules like math and Image and how to import them. We had some trouble getting certain modules to work since they weren't offered for chrome os. Hopefully this can be solved or there is a work around."
"After reviewing some aspects of the student's last assignment, we began working today on sorting and searching algorithms. I first had him write a brief linear search. Then, we discussed the algorithm for binary searches. This led to a discussion of sorting. I taught him the selection sort, making him work through the algorithm implementation himself. We discussed briefly insertion and bubble sort. He is to write a binary search algorithm for the next meeting."
"Although I introduced while loops today, the student is still struggling with the concept of loops in general, including for loops. Although she understands the abstract idea of a variable (a word standing for something else), she still doesn't seem able to grasp how loops do repetitive tasks, like changing a "dummy variable." I am going to figure out how to explain loops to her in another way than her Python book does."
"Continuing on our prior assignment involving Caesar cipher, we conducted some pair programming. We corrected some logical flaws in the earlier version of the code and figured out the algorithm for modifying just letters while keeping the resulting shifted letter in range. This involved the modulo function."