Recent Tutoring Session Reviews
"In this session I asked the student to complete a couple of practice problems to review some of the concepts we have covered up until this point. We then spent the rest of the session going over some basic GUI development using the Tkinter module in Python. In particular, we looked at widgets such as Frames, Labels, Buttons, Entries, and Canvases, and explored these widgets via several examples. This session served primarily as an exposure to graphics for the student. The student did not struggle at all with completing the practice problems to start the session, nor did he seem confused by the graphics material presented during the rest of the session."
"She and I prepped for her interview with Uber by going through a bunch of problems that might come up. She did well and generally knows how to strategically tackle a search or sort problem. She should review recursion a bit more just to get comfortable with applying it, since it shows up frequently, and she still usually needs to think for a bit about how it would work. For future interviews, she should learn more about regular expressions, since they are very useful for certain types of problems."
"The student continued to go through the swift tutorial on the apple website. He's using XCode 8.0 so he has to adjust his code to fit with the different platform than what the tutorial is actually using. He was able to complete the tutorial but was getting an error at the end and wasn't able to run it. We looked at some sites that talked about similar errors and fixes to the error. We will look at a fix for it next time and continue with the tutorial."
"The student showed me the results of all of his hard work on his quote activity project. He did an excellent job on this! It was well organized, and he really went above and beyond the requirements. I offered a couple of formatting suggestions (replacing Ox with 0x to adhere to the accepted convention for hexadecimal number notation and making sure that all his two-digit hex-to-bin conversions resulted in eight-digit binary numbers by padding with leading 0s). Next, we started in on his next project, graphing experimental data. He had gathered and recorded the data in class in tabular form and now was asked to graph it. We used Google Sheets to enter his data and created three customized graphs, each with proper labeling. We finished by importing these graphs into a Google Doc and emailed it to his teacher."
"The student worked on his assignment and labs. For the assignment, he needed to put together input data for test cases. This required some small modifications of the code (the case where a checker piece re-enters the space on which it started). We also worked out test plan details for all the aforementioned code."
"This session with the student was primarily focused on getting his hw done for the upcoming week. This hw included combining polynomial terms. The concept was relatively easy so he was able to pick up these concepts easily. He struggles with earlier concepts as well from previous chapters so the goal for future sessions is to present the material in different ways so he can easily understand."