Completing the Square
To solve by completing the square:
1. Transform the equation so that the constant term,
, is alone on the right side.
2. If , the leading coefficient (the coefficient of the term), is not equal to , divide both sides by .
3. Add the square of half the coefficient of the -term, to both sides of the equation.
4. Factor the left side as the square of a binomial.
5. Take the square root of both sides. (Remember: is equivalent to .)
6. Solve for .
Solve by completing the square.