Recent Tutoring Session Reviews
"The student has a test on Friday, so we spent this session reviewing the topics that challenged her. Overall, she seems comfortable with the material, but we both were a bit rusty on double fertilization and the difference between gametophytes and sporophytes, so we honed in on these topics. I did some background preparation before our meeting to better understand double fertilization, and she agreed that knowing the material in greater detail than her book really provided gave her a better grasp of the material. The book helped us distinguish the stages of alternation of generations, but the material wasn't covered as well in the chapters she's currently studying as I would have expected, so we needed to do a little digging to find information. We spent the final part of our session working through questions on "Test Bank," a helpful website we've used before. Some of the questions were definitely more in-depth than she needed to know, but I think this was still a very helpful activity. We plan to meet for an hour and a half instead of an hour for our next session, as this will be the day before her test."
"As the student has a chemistry test today, yesterday's session was dedicated to reviewing the concepts they/ we have covered since Christmas. Specifically, we went back over physical vs. chemical change, different types of chemical reactions, balancing chemical reactions, precision and scientific notation, and the mole concept. In addition to reviewing the student's own notes, old classwork, and previously completed homework, I wrote out a series of chemical reactions of different types for him to balance, in some cases, and to predict the products of in others. I also asked him to identify which types of reactions they were, and explain how he recognized them as such. I also asked him to complete at least 5 of the practice problems on the mole concept I had left him with earlier, as he seemed to struggle somewhat with the relationship between mass, moles, and molar mass."
"We went over Le Chatelier's principle and ICE chart-type problems. The student was struggling with the ICE charts and their manipulations but we worked hard on those."