I am an engineering student at Vanderbilt and am currently taking a gap year! I love ideas and helping others. My teaching philosophy is to:
- understand where the student is
- understand why they are there
- work with them to change their understanding
- support them in their practice (there is no substitute for homework!)
I am all about the application and integration of ideas into the way you see the world.
Real learning! Sincere understanding! In particular, I am a Fantastic ACT tutor.Overall: the questions are easy. time is the enemy. get enough reps to efficiently complete the test and score high!
- Reading section: the answers are all in the text. you just have to find them within the allotted time
- Science section: the challenge is to understand the situation presented. the questions are easy
- Math: learn what the questions are. learn how to complete them the quick way
- English: understand grammar rules and how to apply them
- Writing: find a sincere interest in the prompt and don't stop writing
What is your teaching philosophy?
My teaching philosophy is to: 1. understand where the student is, 2. understand why they are there, 3. work with them to change their understanding, and 4. support them in their practice (there is no substitute for homework!).
What might you do in a typical first session with a student?
Go over previous assignments. Understand missed problems. Work on new ideas. Assign homework.
How can you help a student become an independent learner?
Don't tell them the way to think! Help them get there from where they currently are.
How would you help a student stay motivated?
Set and achieve goals. Celebrate victories. Work at the right pace. Work at the right intensity.
If a student has difficulty learning a skill or concept, what would you do?
Understand how they are thinking. Break down the idea. Guide their transition.
How do you help students who are struggling with reading comprehension?
Read at the right pace. Increase vocabulary.
What strategies have you found to be most successful when you start to work with a student?
Understand their thinking Guide the transition Assign homework Check homework
How would you help a student get excited/engaged with a subject that they are struggling in?
Start at the beginning Break it down Provide encouragement
What techniques would you use to be sure that a student understands the material?
Homework. Check it.
How do you build a student's confidence in a subject?
Build off of what they know.
How do you evaluate a student's needs?
Evaluate performance and understanding/thought process.
How do you adapt your tutoring to the student's needs?
Teach to where they are. Engage.
What types of materials do you typically use during a tutoring session?
Sample tests Pencil Paper