"We began our session by doing some activities in his workbook. We looked over adverbs first. The student now understands that an adverb is a word that describes a verb and ends in "ly." He was quickly able to come up with his own adverbs to fill in the blanks of sentences with little help from me. We then moved on to homophones. He knows that a homophone is a word that sounds the same as another, but has a different meaning (e.g., to, too, two). We did an exercise where he had to come up with the correct word between two homophones to complete a sentence. He struggled a little bit with this exercise (because he wasn't sure which spelling applied to which meaning) but after a little bit of explanation he understood the difference between the spellings. He is very good at knowing when he needs to switch gears to make maximum benefit of our session because, after this point, he said it was time for him to start reading (which I thought was very cool).
We went on to read some of the easy readers that he likes. I see small, but noticeable, differences in his sentence flow during our sessions. He is recognizing words that he used to struggle with and incorporate them into his natural sentence flow. He has started to be able to guess at future events in the text based on what has been mentioned previously in a reading. He has started to guess less at the meanings of words and tries to sound them out more. We finished our session by reading a dinosaur book that he chose (which had very little text, but seemed appropriate to end with). He was able to sound out some Latin "species" names for the dinosaurs. He recognized the suffix "saurus" from previous sessions and was able to sound out some prefixes to say the full name of the dinosaurs (stego = suarus, etc.) I was impressed."