Recent Tutoring Session Reviews
"This session was used to review for the student's Chemistry final. We went over the two online practice quizzes that the teacher gave him. He had a good idea of 2/3s of the ideas in the practice quizzes. We created a study sheet for him to look over the rest of the night and tomorrow so he can improve upon his studies."
"We did a review of the topics that have been covered in the class. She has a final (the second half) on Thursday. I feel very confident in her abilities, especially since she has a good grade going into the class. We were able to do two reviews in the book that covered chapters 1-3 and 1-6. There were no specific topics she seemed uncomfortable with specifically."
"Today we spent the entire session working on the student's final math project. Steps 1-4 are due tomorrow and the student wanted to go ahead and do steps 5 and 6 as well. We began by randomly selecting 100 countries to use as our database. After selecting the countries we looked at where they were located and discussed some similarities and differences that they had. Using the data, the student was able to realize that 75% of the countries chosen were from Europe, Asia, or Africa, with the remaining 25% spread out across the rest of the world. Based on this fact, she decided to research and compare the life expectancy of the countries since there was such a variation of location and living conditions. The student was able to eloquently and rationally explain her data and her reasons for choosing her research topic. She is interested to see how her data will be analyzed more specifically later on in the project."
"Today we went over chapters 6 and 7, which covered finding missing sides using leg theorem and special right triangles. We went over the end of chapter tests in his textbook that I had assigned for him to complete at our last session. We worked through the problems again together. I told him the importance of checking your work in math problems to avoid mistakes as a strategy. I left him to complete his study packet and redo some of the questions he got wrong on the chapter 7 quiz."
"We got through three and a half sections today. It was a very productive day. We went over tangents, sine, and cosine. We also went over some probability as well as geometric mean theorem. He did very well. I left him with the rest of the chapter 22.1 homework to do over the weekend. I also told him to buy a protractor and a centimeter ruler to finish up 4 of the assignments he hasn't finished. These he should know how to do, since we went over all of the other problems in those packets that didn't need either of those tools. He expressed interest in meeting Sunday night."
"Tonight, the student and I reviewed geometric solids, area and volume of geometric figures, circumference, and circle equations. The student improved majorly from the test/quiz I provided. He showed mastery of many of the problems. There was one problem we were unsure of, so we approached the problem two different ways. The student will consult with his teacher tomorrow regarding this matter. We have one more session before his exam to finish going over prior class test questions and review. It has been a pleasure working with the student and his family."