GRE Math : How to find the part from the whole

Study concepts, example questions & explanations for GRE Math

varsity tutors app store varsity tutors android store

Example Questions

Example Question #1 : How To Find The Part From The Whole

Quantitative Comparison

Quantity A: 10% of $45

Quantity B: 45% of $10

Possible Answers:

The two quantities are equal.

The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.

Quantity B is greater.

Quantity A is greater.

Correct answer:

The two quantities are equal.

Explanation:

Quantity A: .1 * 45 = $4.50

Quantity B: .45 * 10 = $4.50

Therefore the two quantities are equal.  This is always true: a% of $b = b% of $a.

Example Question #1 : How To Find The Part From The Whole

What percent of 5 is ?

Possible Answers:

Correct answer:

Explanation:

Example Question #2 : How To Find The Part From The Whole

Quantity A:

 , where  is  of 

Quantity B: 

, where  is  of 

Which of the following is true?

 

Possible Answers:

Quantity B is larger.

The two quantities are equal.

A comparison cannot be detemined from the given information.

Quantity A is larger.

Correct answer:

Quantity B is larger.

Explanation:

This type of problem is very easy.  You merely need to translate the text into the form of an equation.  For this, remember that "of" is translated as multiplication and "is" as equality.  This gives us the following.

Quantity A:

 is  of 

Becomes...

Quantity B:

 is  of 

Becomes...

Therefore, quantity B is larger.

Example Question #4 : How To Find The Part From The Whole

Quantity A: 

, where  is  of 

Quantity B: 

, where  is  of 

Which of the following is true?

Possible Answers:

A comparison cannot be detemined from the given information.

Quantity B is larger.

Quantity A is larger.

The two quantities are equal.

Correct answer:

Quantity B is larger.

Explanation:

This type of problem is very easy.  You merely need to translate the text into the form of an equation.  For this, remember that "of" is translated as multiplication and "is" as equality.  This gives us the following.

Quantity A:

 is  of 

Becomes...

Quantity B:

  is  of 

Becomes...

Therefore, quantity B is larger.

Example Question #3 : How To Find The Part From The Whole

Quantity A: 

, where  is  of 

Quantity B: 

, where  is  of 

Which of the following is true?

Possible Answers:

Quantity A is greater.

The two quantities are equal.

Quantity B is greater.

A comparison cannot be detemined from the given information.

Correct answer:

The two quantities are equal.

Explanation:

This type of problem is very easy.  You merely need to translate the text into the form of an equation.  For this, remember that "of" is translated as multiplication and "is" as equality.  This gives us the following.

Quantity A:

 is  of 

Becomes...

Quantity B:

  is  of 

Becomes...

Therefore, the two quantities are equal.

Example Question #4 : How To Find The Part From The Whole

A bag contains .   are quarters,  are dimes and the rest are nickels. How much money is in the bag in nickels?

Possible Answers:

Correct answer:

Explanation:

To solve this problem we must first find what percent of the money in the bag is in nickels. We know that combined, quarters and  dimes make up 40% of the coins and that the rest are nickels. Therefore 60% of the money in the bag are nickels. We then multiply the total amount of coins in the bag with that percentage in order to find out how many nickels are in the bag.  .  There are 300 nickels in the bag and nickels are worth 5 cents each. Therefore  worth of nickels in the bag.

Learning Tools by Varsity Tutors

Incompatible Browser

Please upgrade or download one of the following browsers to use Instant Tutoring: