Recent Tutoring Session Reviews
"For this session, the student came with about 3/4 of her outline for the Comp essay. We spent the majority of the session going over the materials / information needed to complete the outline. She was able to finish it during the session. We also discussed her Philosophy class, covering a short assignment on fallacies and the upcoming essay. We are waiting on the handouts from her instructor. I asked her to type up the draft for the Comp essay from the outline for next Sunday."
"We discussed the student's current study habits and organizational practices. She provided me with a sense of how she spends her time after returning home from school, how much homework she gets regularly, and how she prioritizes her homework assignments and studying for tests. We discussed initial tips to make better use of her planner. We also talked about reconsidering how she prioritizes her tasks after returning home since she tends to start with homework, which leaves less time to study for tests and quizzes. Homework only accounts for 10% of her grade, and her tests account for the other 90%. We agreed that part of the study skills tutoring sessions would be spent studying for quizzes and tests across all her subjects, except math since she already has a tutor for that subject."
"The student and I had a pretty good session today. He finished up a few homework assignments for Lit. Comp. and then we reviewed the math material to make sure he was prepared for his math retest. I also set up a to-do list application on his computer that I can access so he can start getting more organized."
"The student and I reviewed Chapter 4: Civil Rights of his government course. This included the Bill of Rights, significant supreme court cases, and the practical application of these rights in specific situations. I can tell that he does better at remembering and comprehending material when he has the opportunity to speak about it rather than simply read it or receive it. I will be supplementing some of his studies to help him do better in Government while also teaching him study skills so that he can eventually succeed without a tutor. Next week I will check to see if he has been annotating his textbook. I also highly recommend he make some flashcards of the Bill of Rights. If there's one thing he will need to know in his government course it is the details of the Bill of Rights."
"This evening I began helping both students start studying for their finals. We specifically focused on the map sections of their upcoming history exam and the vocab sections of their Latin exam. There is a great deal of memorization that must occur before these tests, but now that I understand their knowledge baseline, I am in a better position to aid them in studying for the remainder of the week."
"The student has finals this coming week, so we worked on creating a study guide for his US History final. On Monday, we'll work on one for Psychology. We are focusing on using this period as best practices practice so that he can hit the ground running when class starts again on the 4th of January."