Award Winning Academic Tutoring & Test Prep
Hand Picked, Highly Credentialed Tutors
Varsity Tutors is very successful at what we do, and a key component of our success is our rigorous screening and qualification process. We are committed to helping students find the best private tutors available.
We have rigorous qualifications and only a small fraction of those who apply to be a tutor make it through the rigorous vetting process. We know that our success depends on facilitating outstanding tutoring services which requires incredible tutors who are capable of tailoring the lessons to the needs of each student.
We look for:
How do we determine these characteristics in a tutor?
- Through our phone and face-to-face interviews, we establish the tutor’s excellent communication and teaching skills. The tutors must have fantastic verbal and written communication skills. Teaching skills are demonstrated through simulated lesson plans and mock tutoring sessions.
- We carefully review each candidate's academic history to establish their commitment to academic excellence. Naturally you’d like your math tutor to have excelled in her math classes, and we diligently verify each tutor’s academic background.
- Having prior teaching and mentoring experience is one of the keys to a tutor’s success in connecting with students. A great tutor knows how to motivate, engage, and challenge students to reach their potential. We check for prior teaching experience such as classroom teaching, student teaching, learning lab tutoring, and private tutoring.
- Tutors’ excellent grades and test scores and prior teaching experience are complemented by friendly and personable demeanors. Being able to relate to a student, and maintaining a positive attitude about the learning process are keys to a tutor’s success in connecting with students. Our series of phone and face-to-face interviews help us to identify only the best tutors who are able to create constructive learning environments for their students.
- Being able to pass the Varsity Tutors interview process means that a tutor has the ability to develop individualized lesson plans and confidently lead a tutoring session. In addition to content knowledge, we test each tutor candidate’s ability to “think on their feet” and ability to adapt to students of different academic backgrounds. We realize that tutoring sessions are most constructive when the teaching methods are matched to the student’s learning styles and the tutor will have the skills necessary to cater to the student’s unique needs.
- Only after satisfying this thorough initial vetting process will a tutor be made available in the Varsity Tutors curated marketplace.